Tai Tokerau Maori Trust Board (Board) is constituted under The Maori Trust Boards Act 1955, an Act to make better provision for the administration of certain Maori Trust Boards.
The body corporate of the Board was constituted pursuant to section 28 of the Maori Purposes Act 1953, under the name of the Tai Tokerau Maori Trust Board and continues under that name to this day.
The Act may be cited as the Maori Trust Boards Act 1995 (1995 Act) and it came into force on the 1st January 1956.
The 1995 Act defined the beneficiaries of the Board as being members of the Ngati Whatua, Ngapuhi, Te Rarawa, Ngati Kahu and Te Aupouri tribes.
This was defined to be as North Auckland, and their descendants.
Tribal executives or committees provided nominations for the first Board members. The Board was set by legislation in 1953 for the northern tribes to administer compensation monies for surplus land confiscated by the Government. Section 3 of the Maori Trust Board Regulations 1985 permits eight members to the Tai Tokerau Maori Trust Board as outlined in Schedule 1 of the Act.
The electoral boundaries are outlined Schedule 2 of the Maori Trust Board Regulations 1985 as described under Tai Tokerau Maori Trust Board Tribal Divisions.